Application of self-financed candidates
The application period for self-financed candidates will be between 2 March and 31 March 2024.
All applications will only be received electronically trough the online application portal, which will open on 2 March 2024.
Please do NOT send any applications via email.
1. Required documents for application:
- Completed application form (with signature!)
- Certified copy of the Bachelor’s degree certificate/diploma including a certified translation into German or English
- Applicants from China, India, and Vietnam are required to provide an APS certificate. For further information, please check the uni assist website.
- Certified copy of a complete transcript of records including a certified translation into German or English
- Certified copy of the highest school-leaving certificate including a certified translation into German or English
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of motivation
- Proof of good English language proficiency: Applicants whose native language is not English must provide a recent language certificate (TOEFL, IELTS) giving evidence of their level of proficiency in English
- TOEFL: Paper based test: minimum score of 550; Computer based test: minimum score of 213; Internet based test: minimum score of 80 (university code Duisburg-Essen: 1703)
- IELTS: minimum score of 6.0
- Applicants can be exempted from this requirement only if they hold a bachelor’s or higher degree from an English-language college or university. In this case they are required to provide proof that English was the language of instruction and of all examinations of their degree course, issued by their previous university
- Certified copy of the Master’s degree certificate including a certified translation into German or English (if applicable)
- Written statement of the reasons for pursuing another master’s degree programme (if applicable)
2. If you are successful in the first round of applications, we will additionally ask you to submit:
- two confidential letters of recommendation by university professors and/or current or former employers
(It is recommended to prepare them also before applying, so that they are at hand when you need to submit them.)
If you have any questions regarding your application, please contact our Admission Officer: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please keep in mind that we will not provide you with information on the receipt or status of your application before a decision has been made due to administrative reasons.
Depending on German visa requirements for your home country, the German authorities might ask you to show that you have the financial means to sustain yourself during your study period in Germany.
For regular costs of living students should allow for an amount of 950 € per month including accommodation, insurance, etc., plus the administrative fee for registration (around 640 € per year) and travel costs to and from Germany.