Application of self-financed candidates
New online application portal: All applications will be received electronically through this new online portal. The portal is now closed. It is not necessary to send anything by postal mail.
!! Please click here to get to the new online portal !!
For your convenience, we have assembled a guideline (a step-by-step manual), comprising all the necessary steps of the new application process: click here
The next chance to apply will be between the 1st and 31st March 2021 for the academic year 2021/2022. All applications will be received through our new online portal.
Required documents for application
1. For the online application, you will need the following documents:
- Original or certified true copies of academic transcripts and graduation diploma from each university attended (plus certified translations, if your documents are not already in German or English)
- Two confidential letters of recommendation (by university professors and/or current or former employers)
- Recommendation letters can be uploaded to the portal or directly sent by referees to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Proof of good English language proficiency: Applicants whose native language is not English must provide a recent language certificate (TOEFL, IELTS) giving evidence of their level of proficiency in English
- TOEFL: Paper based test: minimum score of 550; Computer based test: minimum score of 213; Internet based test: minimum score of 80 (university code Duisburg-Essen: 1703)
- IELTS: minimum score of 6.0
- Applicants can be exempted from this requirement only if they hold a bachelor’s or higher degree from an English-language college or university. Instead they are required to provide proof that English was the language of instruction and of all examinations of their degree course.
2. If you fulfil the criteria, you will have to provide the following documents:
- Full Curriculum Vitae including information about precise field of study and job experience (should not exceed two pages)
- Statement of Purpose
- Certified true copy of secondary education certificate (plus certified translation, if your documents are not already in German or English)
(It is recommended to prepare them also before applying, so that they are at hand when you need to submit them.)
Please note that, depending on German visa requirements for your home country, the German authorities might ask you to show that you have the financial means to sustain yourself during your study period in Germany.
For regular costs of living students should allow for an amount of Euro 750 per month including accommodation, insurance, etc, plus the administrative fee for registration (around 640 € per year) and travel costs to and from Germany.