The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) offers a limited number of scholarships to highly qualified applicants from Africa, Latin America, South Asia, Southeast Asia as well as from countries in the Middle East, within the Helmut-Schmidt-Programme (HSP). Further information on the HSP and a detailed list of countries can be found on the DAAD webpage.
The application deadline for DAAD-HSP scholarship candidates for the academic year 2020/21 closed on 31st July 2019.
The next chance to apply will be between the 1st of June and 31st of July 2020 for the academic year 2021/2022.
Please note that all applications for a HSP DAAD scholarship have to be submitted directly to the University. There is no additional application to DAAD required.
The application form for a HSP scholarship is accessible here. Please fill this form (note: it is not necessary to fill out questions 10 and 11!) and send it to maximum 2 HSP Master courses of your choice. The admission criteria for each university differ a bit. Make sure that you meet the criteria of every university you apply to.
If you are applying for the Master of Development and Governance at the University Duisburg-Essen within the HSP DAAD scholarship programme, the application form and all required documents have to be sent to: email@example.com
Required documents for application:
Due to the digital form of applications under PPGG some formalities are slightly modified:
- Completed HSP scholarship application form (note: it is not necessary to fill out questions 10 and 11!)
- Statement of Purpose not exceeding two pages.
- Full Curriculum Vitae, including information about precise field of study and job experience (should not exceed two pages). Please note that we require at least one year of full-time working experience in a relevant field for our Master’s.
- Two confidential letters of recommendation (by university professors and/or current or former employers). The recommendation letters are to be sent directly by the recommending parties, also via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please send scans of your original educational certificates if they are in German or English; otherwise certified translations into one of those languages are needed.
- Original or certified true copies of academic transcripts and graduation diploma from each university attended as well as
- Certified true copy of secondary education certificate (higher education entrance qualification)
- Proof of good English language proficiency: Applicants whose native language is not English must provide a recent language certificate (TOEFL or IELTS) giving evidence of their level of proficiency in English
- TOEFL: Paper based test: minimum score of 550; Computer based test: minimum score of 213; Internet based test: minimum score of 80
- IELTS: minimum score of 6.0
- Applicants can be exempted from this requirement only if they hold a bachelor’s or higher degree from an English-language college or university. Instead they are required to provide proof that English was the language of instruction and of all examinations of their degree course.
For your own convenience we have assembled a checklist. You do not need to hand it in with your application.
Format of digital applications
Applications must be submitted in one email, with one single pdf file attached.
Please do not send us more than a maximum of 45 text pages.
Keep the file size below 10 MB. We cannot consider attachments in rare file formats or archive formats (e.g. rar or zip) and we do not download files from filesharing platforms (e.g. dropbox).
If you have any questions regarding your application, please contact our Admission Officer: email@example.com